Skip to content
  • 13 min read

What is the figure of ‘Suspicion of COVID-19’ diagnoses in the Danish Hospital Service?

Source: Verity Base by Ole Dupont

How many cases with ‘Suspicion of COVID-19’, have there been through the emergency departments and the Danish doctor and hospital system since the pandemic broke out? What are the figures for the last twelve months? Measured on the same parameters in relation to 2019-nCoV-like symptoms and measured across the entire spectrum of lung disorders, as well as SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 ‘late sequelae’ symptoms.

The post is written, to give an authentic insight, into one of the more serious disease courses during the pandemic, which is not counted in the statistics of registered COVID-19 cases in Denmark. It is about Danny age 39, who on Wednesday 25 March is grafted for COVID-19 in the test tent at Slagelse hospital and shortly after is admitted urgently and brought in a wheelchair to the hospital’s corona section. He was discharged 4 days later with “Suspicion of 2019-nCoV (Dz038pa1)” and the diagnosis “Lobar Pneumococcal Pneumonia (Dj139a)”.

Saturday 21 March (Prelude)

On a cozy walk in the local forest with his mother and daughter, Danny meets his brother and sister-in-law, after which he wants to show them a special stone, a certain place in the forest. Here begins what slowly builds up to a living nightmare over the next few days. The forest is a familiar area for Danny, a place he uses and walks daily, but this day he could not find his way around and gets lost in the forest. He appears disoriented and diffuse in his appearance towards his family, who begin to question whether he is affected. The situation develops awkwardly and Danny is driven home, spending the rest of the day with a buddy and going to rest in the evening.

He wakes up Sunday night with knee pain and indescribable cramping pain that goes away on its own overnight. Waking up in the morning with a fever and feeling uncomfortable, but he didn’t think more about it, as the night before a few drinks was consumed and it was beaten like a hangover. Dany stays in bed all day and until admission.

Wednesday 25 March (Admission)

Danny’s mother comes by in the afternoon. Danny says that she showed clear anxiety in her eyes, similar to someone who had seen little green men. She calls the doctor and the message is that it is best to drive immediately and not wait for an ambulance, due to the fever and suspicion of COVID-19, so they drive towards Slagelse hospital.

Danny arrives at the reception at the test tents at Slagelse Hospital. He is met by 3 doctors who ask a lot of questions, take his temperature, inoculate the throat for viruses, they listen to the lungs and he has to do some stretching and breathing exercises, which were too painful and therefore not possible for him to perform. He is put to wait 20 min. Then comes a porter wearing protective equipment, who drives him in a wheelchair to the emergency department’s corona section. When they arrived at the hospital room, he could not even get up in bed or change into hospital clothes, which he got help with.

Danny is now lying in a sickbed with fever and a stream of thoughts flying through his head. 3 to 4 doctors and nurses on either side of the bed work over him as they talk together and to him. They are loudly worried about the low blood pressure while putting 10/12 electrodes on his chest. 3 medical drops are put in one arm and a saline drop in the other and then the room is left and Danny lies alone, from 200km /h panic to complete calm.

His condition then accelerated rapidly in a negative direction and reached a point where at one point he thought he had been left to die. Anxiety had begun to set in with a creeping panicked mood that made him pull the strings to summon the staff. When they arrived, he had difficulty breathing himself and was therefore given a hose with oxygen. Danny: 

“Right there, I thought the party was over”

After some time, the oxygen begins to work and the panic stage slowly subsides. The group of nurses comes in again with a device for scanning the lungs. The scans showed infections on both lungs, and on one lung the infection was both in the upper and lower part of the lung. Several blood samples were taken and there were still concerns about. the low blood pressure, as well as a great lack of zinc, phosphate and magnesium in the blood. At the time, Danny couldn’t help but bathe in his own sweat, unable to deliver saliva or urine samples.

But they were eager for the tests, so they were inoculated with (long) cotton swabs deep down in the throat. At the same time, a catheter is placed where the reality dawned on Danny, when a 14ml rubber hose was passed up through the urethra and it caused a violent uncontrolled discharge of urine and feces, and the day then ended with an adult diaper. Several blood samples and inoculations (normal size cotton swabs) are taken throughout the evening and night.

Thursday 26 March (No answer – before moving to unsecured department)

Dany awaits answers from the tests, which he reckoned would be bell-ready. It did not happen and there was no answer. Despite scans, blood tests, mucus / inoculations, several medical drops and urine samples as well as the antibiotic treatments, all of which were targeted at COVID-19. One doctor was in no doubt at all, while another doctor thought it was something else, due to the negative tests. Danny, however, was still lying on the corona section, ignorant and divided.

Up in the morning a doctor came in and told him that he would not move Danny over to the lung ward until a response had been received to a new sample which had not yet been taken. Because if he sent him over there and he infected an entire ward, then he (the doctor) would be without a job.

Status from a medical point of view, was that the answers from the tests versus all the symptoms did not match. So a new test had to be done, which took place by Dany having a 30 cm long rubber hose run up through his nose, down through his throat and further down into his lungs to pull mucus up. It was a hefty experience and Danny describes it a bit as a state of shock afterwards.

“Everything else I have otherwise described as being uncomfortable, that bleached right there.”

The rest of the Thursday was spent waiting, only disturbed when antibiotic drops had to be replaced and blood samples taken. Around midnight a doctor comes into the room and almost claps his hands and says; “Now we can move you.” It was a relief for Danny, because then it probably wasn’t corona anyway. However, clear answers to samples or tests of any kind had still not been given before the transfer to the pulmonary ward. Danny is picked up by a porter inside the corona section, who is not wearing protective equipment. This amazes Danny, as both doctors and nurses at the corona section were so well wrapped up.

Friday 27 March. (Moved to the pulmonary medicine department)

Dany lands on the pulmonary medicine ward, room No. 1, which is a two-person room where there is already a man lying. He tells a story similar to Danny’s disease symptoms, he’s been lying there for 6 days and needs to go home the next day if his blood tests are okay. He is sent home the next morning and Danny is alone in the room for the rest of the weekend. New antibiotics are introduced and blood tests are taken regularly.

Danny observes that none of the staff wear protective equipment, masks or any type of precautionary measures in the pulmonary medicine department, where new patients primarily arrive in the evening like himself. One of the days, a new X-ray of the lungs is to be made, where he is transported by a porter without protective equipment and is placed in the hallway by the X-ray ward, along with other waiting patients and a steady stream of passing patients and hospital staff without protective equipment.

“I can ONLY wonder, but at no time did I see, neither nurses nor porters with masks on and do not know anything about what is normal in relation to how many are admitted to the pulmonary department on a daily basis, but in this corona time here, in my view, it was a wasteful and sloppy approach that was and is a risk of infection.”

Monday 30 March. (Repatriation)

Up until discharge, he asks the nurses and doctors about his condition, as well as how to act about self-isolation and any precautions. The answer is to follow the National Board of Health’s advice and despite the fact that he repeatedly asks for a diagnosis, he gets no answer. Up by Monday morning, a female chief physician comes in to prescribe him, still without giving information about the diagnosis, nothing!. She does not answer his questions, but replies back that she prints it out to him and tells him that there is no parallel to the corona, even if there is suspicion. So there is no reason to stay, which in reality would be more dangerous for him.

Danny is given antibiotic and is discharged on Monday 30 March with “Suspicion of 2019-nCoV (Dz038pa1)” and the diagnosis “Lobbar Pneumococcal Pneumonia (Dj139a)”.

Subsequent course and what looks like COVID-19 late sequelae

In the days that followed, Danny had difficulty moving physically, and felt markedly weak and weakened, had difficulty walking, lifting, and received help with shopping. He even cooked in a scraped ‘survival’ version due to lack of energy. Such was the situation for approx. 8 weeks before it gradually started to get better. At the time of writing, his muscles are still weakened, despite being back at work, with a mixed feeling of his own energy level with good and bad days.

There are still problems with memory, he experiences it as small memory blockages and catches himself in being distracted “looking for things he has in hand” experiences ‘learning’ problems in the form of challenges with recording new information. Rhetorical blocking in conversations – where he is not ‘allowed’ to speak his mind and feels cognitively held back “lacks room to answer”. Can not play with his daughter as before, that requires physical activity, etc ..

There have been examples of nausea with sweating that literally brings him to his knees. He experiences that his feet itch, but there are no visible rashes or other identifiable to see, besides a specific area on top of the feet which itches and then gets scratched to blood. Almost every night, he finds that both eyes itch and is twice awakened with a swollen left eye. Treatment for barley grains has worked immediately. Have during the day, three times, felt irritation in the eyes, but have not experienced swelling in the eyes during the day.

Slagelse Hospital has as the only control, made two X-ray follow-ups at one month intervals.

Medical know-how, arrogance and fear of making mistakes

Visual and physical symptoms, disease traits and late effects – all point to a COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) infection. Therefore, it also seems a bit incomprehensible – that possible faulty corona tests, most likely have misdiagnosed what looks like a clear case of SARS-CoV-2 / 2019-nCoV.

There was a single doctor -who was in no doubt about the diagnosis COVID-19, the rest wavered and leaned on possible flawed tests, some rejected it arrogantly and others would not answer at all or were evasive. Here it would be interesting to know if the proverb ‘he who is silent agrees’ holds true, for then the lone wolf of a doctor is not alone. In any case, no doctor or nurse would give an oral explanation of the conclusive diagnosis Lobar Pneumococcal Pneumonia (Dj139a). That call was delivered one-way on a transcript in hand, with a message that there was no parallel to COVID-19.

How can a team of educated people with years of medical studies behind them come to that conclusion? They could in no way know for sure or express themselves obliquely about anything in that situation. They did not know it and the medical team assumed that their tests were reliable. It has since been shown to be vertically incorrect. Not so sharp…

The case has left more questions than it has answered. How did the medical team find the diagnosis? Why was Danny who is healthy and well, just suddenly hit by lung virus inflammation, during a lung virus pandemic, was there a natural connection between the two? Was the diagnosis ‘cherry picking’ by the medical team, to be able to frame a diagnosis? Why is the case not accepted as ‘unknown’ with ‘suspected covid-19’? and if it is? Why do we not know those numbers? Numbers that may cover many other faces of SARS-CoV-2, in terms of disease traits and sequelae, cases that may not be properly tested for yet.

It is also less reassuring to know -that we are dealing with an National Board of Health (SST) and hospital system that could potentially cost lives and collapse on its own, with uncontrolled spread of infection in its own ranks with a convulsive preparedness for what cannot be seen, felt or can be read up to. It also leaves another important question namely; how many other similar cases of ‘Suspicion of COVID-19’ have there been through our and the global hospital system in the last 12 months?

Is there still a latent bomb under the Danish hospital system?

Four weeks later in April, the staff at Slagelse hospital and the region’s hospitals were affected by corona infection. The lack of precautions and uncertain interactions between the wards at Slagelse hospital are not unique. Verity Base has spoken to a porter from another hospital who, as an example, states; that e.g. service workers who work with laundry and receive it in the basement via locks from the various departments, including also “secured” corona departments, are not protected when they receive contaminated laundry, etc.

So it is a good question whether there is still a latent bomb under the Danish hospital system? If and when the 2019-nCoV strikes again and maybe with a straight right in the face! ..